Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Honey Castella

I’ve always been on an enthusiastic quest for recreating desserts from the Korean bakeries I frequented as a kid in Seoul. From anko-pang to soboro, being able to make these treats that are a staple in asian bakeries at home is especially comforting and exciting when it’s a success.
That’s why I was thrilled with this Honey Castella recipe from Pichet Ong's "The Sweet Spot." It definitely goes down as a favorite. For whatever reason, these “traditional” western-style asian desserts tend to be on the drier, less sweet side, which may be why this cake really appeals. Its dry spongy texture and subtle honeyed flavor really took me back….

I used this loaf pan instead of the cake pan called for in the recipe (since that's how it's done in Korea). The pan which I got from IKEA turned about to be perfect for half the recipe.

No comments: